In ancient Sanskrit, ‘chakra’ means ‘wheel’. Much like little ‘wheels’, our chakras are spinning small collections of energy that exist throughout the central meridian of the body.
The chakra energy of each ‘pool’ helps to maintain a specific function of our body and spirit. When operating together, our chakras unite to create balance and equilibrium throughout all aspects of life–body, mind, and spirit.
Understanding what chakras are and how they can impact our lives, is a great step towards reaching your fullest potential in life.
When you can break down the chakras and how they work, you can, in turn, help to treat them when they are out of balance or blocked.
Let’s explore chakras for a moment and how they operate so that you can maintain balance and peace throughout your life and body.
- 1 What Are Chakras?
- 2 The 7 Major Chakras
- 3 How To Touch Your Chakra
- 4 7 Stones To Help Unlock Your Chakra
- 5 Final Thoughts
What Are Chakras?
Chakras are hard to describe to those who are uninitiated to the concept. This is because they are points of energy, and cannot be physically seen, but rather only spiritually felt and touched.
Chakras are often described as small whirlpools within the focal points of the body.
This is because our natural energy is usually felt as a rotating and spinning force-much like the universe itself.
They run down the central meridian of the body, and each one has its own unique function.
There are 7 major chakras, and it is essential to understand each one to understand the whole.
The 7 Major Chakras
Beginning from the base of the spine, and working upward, the 7 major chakras are as follows:
Muladhara, The Root Chakra
The root chakra, as it is aptly named, is what connects us to this earthly realm.
It is located at the base of the spine and is closely related to the element of Earth and nature. As such, the root chakra allows us to maintain a connection with the world of our birth and living.
Associated with the color red, the root chakra is often seen as the base for who we are as humans and our instinct for survival.
Svadhisthana, Sacral Chakra
The sacral chakra is related to the element of water and fluidity.
It is considered the root of sexuality, sensuality, and pleasure. Located just below the belly button, the sacral chakra is the center of all pleasures in life, even hobbies, and passions.
Associated with the color orange, the sacral chakra is the base of all that gives us happiness in life.
Manipura, Solar Plexus Chakra
Located just above the belly, the solar plexus chakra is at the core of all passions and ambitions.
The solar plexus chakra relates to the element of fire, and when not in alignment can cause panic and anxiety about your dreams and goals in life.
The solar plexus chakra is associated with the color yellow. It relates to our deep-rooted passion for succeeding and chase our highest aspirations.
Anahata, The Heart Chakra
The heart chakra is related to the element of air.
It is connected to all forms of personal love and relationships that you make within your life. Whether it be with family, friends, pets, or romantic partners.
The heart chakra is associated with the color green. It is where our deepest love and connections with fellow spirits reside.
Vishuddha, the Throat Chakra
Located in the throat, where all-vocal ideas and concepts flow forth, the throat chakra is closely related to cosmic truth.
The throat chakra is where we draw on our communication, and voice with which we speak forth and manifest honesty, and compassion.
Associated with the color blue, the throat chakra stands for complete truthfulness in everything that we say and communicate.
Ajna, The Third Eye
Located between the eyebrows, the third eye is the center of awareness and intuition.
Associated with the color indigo, the third eye is awakened through meditation and focus on one’s surroundings.
Being open to your inner guidance is a sign that your third eye is truly open.
Sahasrara, The Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is the connection of oneself, to the cosmic universe.
Located at the crown of the head, the crown chakra represents the union that one has with the universe around them.
Often associated with the color violet, the crown chakra is the pinnacle of all other chakras.
Being one with your universal consciousness connects you to the universe as a whole.
Once you understand the core functions and connections that your chakra has within yourself, you can understand how your chakra interacts with the world around you.
Through deep meditation and reflection upon each chakra individually, you can realign chakra that has begun to shift out of balance.
A chakra that has become unbalanced can lead to disaster and unhappiness throughout every aspect of your life.
If you are ever feeling unwhole in some way, you could be experiencing chakra misalignment.
How To Touch Your Chakra
Interacting with your chakra is always done through deep meditation. Many will find the best results through being entirely still and meditating in silence.
However, others have found that they can connect with their chakra through yoga, or even chakra stones (crystals).
Opening your chakra takes practice, and determined focus, and should always begin at the root chakra no matter what your method of touching them may be.
- Begin by entering a state of calmness and relaxation. Through silent meditation or yoga, you must become completely relaxed and at peace with yourself and your surroundings.
- Next, you should focus all of your energy on the base of your spine. Feel the pulsing and swirling energy that is your root chakra.
- Continue up to just below your belly button, and focus on your sacral chakra. Feel how it stirs you, and moves with your breath.
- Moving on to your solar plexus chakra, you will feel a mass of spinning yellow light. Many can sense this chakra rather quickly because it is so closely related to our strongest emotion. We feel this chakra when we get ‘butterflies’ in our stomach, or deep love and fear.
- Once you have connected with your solar plexus chakra, move on to the heart. You will sense the vibrant green light that connects you to all those that you love in your life. Here you should be easily able to sense everyone who has ever touched you deeply.
- Now imagine your third eye. Imagine the indigo light spinning in a deep vortex of knowledge and truth. Let it guide you in all of your uncertainties as you feed them to your third eye.
- The final step is to connect with your cosmic place in the universe. What once began at the root, in the Earth, releases through the crown chakra and into the cosmic space where we all exist in our spirits.
By practicing connecting with and opening your chakras, you will quickly learn how to identify when they are open or closed; aligned or misaligned.
Just like you can tell when your physical body is out of whack, you will soon be able to sense anything amiss within your chakras.
7 Stones To Help Unlock Your Chakra
If yoga and meditation are still not helping you to unclog any blockages in your chakra that you may sense, never fear; some stones can help!
It is important to remember that these stones are meant to be used as aids as you become stronger in your meditation.
Alone, they will not help very well.
Pair these stones with your meditation and yoga exercises to help aid in unclogging your blocked chakras.
- Hematite, Black Onyx, or Smokey Quartz for the Root Chakra.
- Tigers’ Eye or Sunstone for the Sacral Chakra.
- Jasper or Pyrite for the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Aventurine or Rose Quartz for the Heart Chakra.
- Sodalite or Aquamarine for the Throat Chakra.
- Iolite, Amethyst, or Fluorite for the Third Eye.
- Amethyst, Moonstone, or Clear Quartz for the Crown Chakra.
These stones help connect you to your chakra and release the blocked pathways within their sacred spiral.
Introducing these stones into your meditative process can guide along even the most inexperienced of meditation or yoga practitioners.
The chakras within us are what bind us together with our universe and reality surrounding us.
Without our chakras, we would be no more than empty husks of flesh.
Our chakras help us interact with, communicate with, and understand the world and universe around us as we all pass through it.
Blocked or misaligned chakras can weigh anyone down.
You must be able to identify how your chakras are flowing, and make sure that they remain open to their true cosmic purpose.
By delving deep into your chakras and understanding how they work, you can be on the path to inner peace in all aspects of your life.Last updated on: